Pumpkin Ice Cream
Pumpkin ice cream.
Yield: 1 1/2 quarts
- Combine milk, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and ginger over medium heat.
- Scrape contents of vanilla beans into milk mixture.
- Stir milk mixture well, disolving the sugar until the milk is heated through.
- Lightly beat the egg yolks and then temper them by adding a little of the hot milk mixture at a time while whisking continuously.
- When half of the milk mixture has been beaten with the egg yolks, pour the egg and milk mixture into the sauce pan and return it to the heat.
- Stir constantly, scraping the bottom of the pan, until the custard begins to thicken and coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove the custard from the heat, pour about a cup of the custard mixture into a bowl with the pureed pumpkin and mix well to loosen it up.
- Add the remaining custard to the pumpkin.
- Add the heavy cream to the pumpkin custard.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Freeze mixture in an ice cream maker